top of page

About our village

old-hutton-v1.jpg
old-hutton-v1.jpg

Our Village

OLD HUTTON VILLAGE: 

Old Hutton, situated approximately five miles southeast of Kendal, encompasses five quaint hamlets, covering an expanse of 3,924 acres with a population of around 417 residents ( 2011 census)

OH-VILL.jpg
OH-ABOUT.jpg
old-hutton-v1.jpg
OH---pictures.jpg
OH-villagehall.jpg
OH-public-hall.jpg
old-hutton-v2.jpg
OH-walks.jpg
map old hutton.jpeg
OH-history.jpg
OH--directory2.jpg
OH-directory.jpg
OLD HUTTON:


Old Hutton, situated approximately five miles southeast of Kendal, encompasses five quaint hamlets, covering an expanse of 3,924 acres with a population of around 417 residents ( 2011 census).
 

The Beckside Hamlet, featuring a charming waterfall, never fails to leave onlookers in awe. The waterfall is a part of Peasey Beck, a river flowing through the village, later known as the River Bela below Old Hutton. Sourced partly from Killington Reservoir, the river is augmented by small streams. British Waterways regulate its flow, using a siphon at the reservoir to maintain the water levels of the Lancaster Canal when needed.
 

St. Johns View hamlet boasts a school, public hall, and St. John the Baptist church, rebuilt in 1873. The church possesses a silver chalice dating back to 1495, a unique medieval church plate in the diocese, securely stored in a bank. Church View, a house in the hamlet, proudly displays a plaque stating that John Wesley spent a night there during his journey from Leeds to Whitehaven.
 

Old Hutton has lovely, historic locations such as Holmescales Farm which stands as the oldest farm house in Old Hutton, belonging to the Robinson family since 1904. In January 1955, a special service celebrated 50 years of Methodism in the Robinson family in the farmhouse kitchen. Until recently, services were still held there and at Strickley on alternate Sundays. Bleaze Hall, dating back to the Jacobean period around 1600, was constructed by Mr. Roger Bateman, a cloth manufacturer in nearby Kendal. A 'dobbie stone' in one of the attics supposedly wards off evil spirits or ghosts. Historical records indicate the parish once had its brewery and three beer houses in 1642, but today, those seeking a beer must travel approximately three miles. The Old Vicarage in Bridgend Hamlet was designed by George Webster and dates back to 1841. George Webster and his father Francis designed some of the most beautiful 19th century civic buildings, churches and private houses in Cumbria.

 

OLD HUTTON HISTORY:
 

Old Hutton and Holmescales became a civil parish in 1866.

In days of yore, Old Hutton thrived independently with two grocery stores, joiners, black-smiths, and several mills providing employment to villagers. Beckside housed a corn mill, The Ghyll in Holmescales hamlet hosted a mill crafting billycock hats, and Bridge End sheltered the oldest recorded mill for spinning and wool combing. A joiner's shop in Bridge End, owned by the Nelson family since 1628, still operates today.

 

Old Hutton and Holmscales Name:

'Hill-spur farm/settlement. 'Old' to distinguish from New Hutton.

Elements and their meanings

  • hōh (Old English) A heel; a sharply projecting piece of ground.

  • place-name (Unknown) Place-name

  • tūn (Old English) An enclosure; a farmstead; a village; an estate.

  • skáli (Old West Scandinavian) A temporary hut or shed.

 

"Old Hutton, New Hutton, and Holme Scales... At first there was only one general name of Hutton. The distinction between Old and New Hutton seems to have come in about the be-ginning of the reign of king Edward the first [c.1272]. Holme Scales is in the parish of Burton; being, as the name imports, scales or huts belonging to Holme in that parish. But for the sake of vicinity and convenience, Holme Scales hath for a long time been annexed to Old Hutton and is now deemed part of that township or constablewick."

 

This information was found in the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site:

 

HUTTON (OLD), and HOLMSCALES, form a joint township, containing the hamlets of Bridge-end, Chapel-houses, Ewebank, and Middleshaw, on the Kirkby Lonsdale road and Belo river, from 3 ½ to 5 miles SE. of Kendal. Holmescales belongs ecclesiastically to Burton parish, but Old Hutton forms a chapelry in Kendal parish. The CHAPEL was erected in 1628, and re-built in 1699, and had a burial-ground consecrated in 1822. It has an ancient salary of £4 12s., a piece of land left by Henry Bateman, and £5 a year for an afternoon sermon, left by Thomas Robinson in 1706; since which it has been augmented with £600 of Queen Anne’s bounty; 100l. from Dr. Stratford’s trustees, and 100l. given by various benefactors, all laid out in land. The land owners nominate the curate, which office is now filled by the Rev. Geo. Theobalds. The SCHOOL near the chapel has a parochial library, founded by the associates of Dr. Bray, in 1757. The school, which was re-built in 1753, was erected and endowed with nearly £20 a year by Edward Milner, in 1613. Henry Rauthmell, Esq. of Bridge-end, is lord of the manor, the tenants of which have been long enfranchised. BLEASE HALL was several centuries the seat of the Batemans, but now belongs to C. Wilson, Esq. of Ken-dal, and though now only a farm house, it was once a large and elegant mansion. Much of it has been taken down to build out-houses, and the only traces of its ancient consequence is a very fine wainscoted room, dated 1624. Hood Ridding, another ancient mansion has, during the two last centuries, belonged to the family of Yeates.

 

Old Hutton History by www.british-history.ac.uk

 

1630 William Whitwell late curate of Old Hutton was buried 4 September 1630. Kendal Parish Registers.

 

1646 A Ministerial Augmentation was granted to Old Hutton on 2 September 1646: "Yearly sum of 30li for the increase of said Minister as Committee shall approve."

 

1653 Whereas there is exceeding great want of a preaching Minister at Old Hutton, it is therefore ordered that the tithes of Preston Patricke, parcel of the Rectory of Burton, sequestrated for the delinquency of Sir John Preston, and the tithes of Crackenthorpe in lease from the late Dean and Chapter of Carlisle be settled upon Roger Bateman, Esq and the churchwardens of Old Hutton to and for the maintenance of a godly and able minister.

 

1655 5 October. Upon the representation of James Greenwood, clerk, Minister of Old Hut-ton, setting forth sundry misdemeanours of Thomas Hunter an alehouse keeper in the constablewick. . . Since by an order of last Sessions he was discharged from brewing and fined in 20s., it is ordered that as the said Hunter is very poor that the fine be lessened to 3s. 4d. And it is further ordered that the constable discharge the said Hunter from brewing and carry him forthwith before John Archer, esq, to enter recognisance with good sureties not to brew any more for three years, etc. 

K. Indictment Book, as quoted in The Ejected of 1662.

 

1671 6 October. Henry Wilson, esq., presents the highway adjoining St. Sunday's bridge, both in Old and New Hutton as being in great decay. 

K. Indictment Book, 1669–1692.

 

1686 16 April. This Court being informed that St. Sunday’s Bridge (wooden) is in ruin and decay and that it doth belong to the inhabitants of New Hutton to repair: ordered that they sufficiently repair the same betwixt now and the next Sessions, and that New Hutton and Ould Hutton doe repaire the Cawsey on either side of the bridge soe as a horse may be led over it, upon paine of forfeiture of £10. 

K. Indictment Book, 1669-92; also K. Order Book, 1669–96.

 

1687 I gave a license to Mr. Edward Nicholson to supply the chapel of Old Hutton." Bishop Cartwright's Diary for 15 August, 1687.

 

1696 14 July. Edward Nicholson, curate of Old Hutton, signed the anti-Jacobite "Association" formed throughout the Kingdom, for the protection of William III. K. Indict. Book, 1692–1724.

 

1707 10 October. Presentment that the highway leading from K. Kendall to K. Lonsdale, in a place called Hutton Loaning, is in great decay, and that the inhabitants of New Hutton and Old Hutton ought to repair the same. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.

 

1709 7 October. An Indictment and Order to repair that part of St. Sunday’s bridge and causeway belonging to New Hutton. (K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724). On 11 July, 1710, there was a further Order that the inhabitants shall sufficiently repair St. Sunday bridge in New Hutton and part of the causey at the end thereof. (Ibid). Again on 6 October following the Order was reissued for the repair of St. Sundays bridge and causeway, being very ruinous, before Christmas next, and if the inhabitants that ought to repair the same desire to make it a stone bridge they shall have time to do so until Midsummer Sessions next; the bridge whether of wood or stone to be 8 ft. broad at the least. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.

 

1711 20 July. The inhabitants of New Hutton having sufficiently repaired of St. Sunday's Bridge and the causeway, and by reason of the smallness of the hamlet are not able to pay the whole charge; order to the high constable to pay them £5, but this to be in no way prejudicial to the county for the future, nor to be drawn into precedent for granting charity money for repair of either that or any other private bridge. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.

 

1750/51 18 January. Presentment that from time whereof the memory of man is not to the contrary there was and yet is a certain common and ancient king's highway leading be-tween the market towns of Burton and K. Kendale, and that a certain part of the same, be-ginning at a place called Eelingwray and ending at a place called Greenfoot, containing 500 yards in length and 3 yards in breadth, is very ruinous, miry, deep broken and in decay, etc., and that the inhabitants of Old Hutton ought to repair and amend it when and so often as need shall require. 

K. Indictment Book, 1750–60.

 

1751 26 October. Petition of the Surveyors of highways within the township of Old Hutton and Homescales setting forth that they had been at great expense in the payment of a fine laid upon the inhabitants for the defects of a certain highway within the said township, up-on a travers tried and found against them, and also for money necessarily expended in the carrying on and trying the said travers and praying to be reimbursed; it is ordered that an assessment by equal pound rate be made and levied upon the several inhabitants, owners and occupiers, etc. 

K. Order Book, 1750–60.

 

1795 16 January. Rev. John Shaw of Old Hutton, clerk, bound over in £40, with Jos. Symson of K. Kendale, mercer, his surety in £30, concerning Sarah Ward of Mansergh, singlewoman, bastardy. 

K. Order and Indictment Book, 1786–98.

 

1818 11 January. Presentment that St. Sundays Bridge over the river Hutton Beck in the king's highway leading from the market town of K. Kendal to the market town of K. Lons-dale is in great decay, etc., and ought to be repaired at the expense of the county. (K. Indict. Book, 1817–24). Note it has become a public bridge since the last reference to it under date 20 July, 1711. On the Roll of the Sessions held on 15 April, 1822, is filed a certificate that St. Sunday's Bridge was erected and completed in a substantial and commodious manner. Ibid.

 

1827 8 January. Filed the certificate of Edw. Tomlinson, Bridge Master, that Middleshaw Bridge and Hutton Bridge in Old Hutton, and Strickley Bridge in New Hutton are erected in a substantial and commodious manner and are in complete repair. (K. Indict Book, 1824–34). Each being on the Oxenholme to Kirkby Lonsdale road.

 

1842 3 January. Rev. Francis Whalley took and subscribed the oaths on being instituted to the Perpetual Curacy of Old Hutton. K. Order Book, 1839–76.

 

1867 4 July. Report that Middleshaw Bridge was originally built of unwrought cobbles which are constantly dropping out. Also that the arch is too small to carry the water in flood time. On the 17 October following the surveyor reported the entire rebuilding of this bridge. 

 

OLD HUTTON 'NEW' HISTORY: 
 

The Village bench: on Middleshaw Hill was carved and made by Nick Robinson, a local man, with the stone donated by Greaves Farm.  Mrs Ruth Robinson had oak saplings planted on each side of the bench, they now look like healthy young trees.

 

Fabric of Old Hutton:  A magnificent tapestry known as the ‘Fabric of Old 

Hutton’ hangs in the village church for all to see. This large and beautiful canvas work start-ed in 1997 and was completed by the end of 1999. The idea was to produce a commemorative piece of work for the Millennium and encouraged a collective interest to show the talents and skills within the parish. The fabric consists of 484,000 embroidery stitches in 72 squares and worked on by more than 100 people aged from 3 to 98. 

 

Cumbria Village of the Year 1999: Advised by Voluntary Action Cumbria, the village entered the ‘Cumbria Village of the Year 1999’ competition as it would look good for the Lottery ap-plication. We won and were then encouraged to enter the National competition with a tempting prize of £3000.  This would have been used to help to tarmac the public car park next to the church.  Regional and national judges visited exhibitions in the village hall and we were awarded Northern Region Village of the Year 1999. We were awarded £500 to be used on village projects. 

 

Daffodils: With a grant of £250 from National Grid, 2000 Daffodils were 

planted along the verges of the main road through the village, which we now enjoy every Spring. 

OLD HUTTON VILLAGE HALL HISTORY:


In the few years running up to the Millennium, Parishes were being encouraged to take on special projects to note the arrival of the year 2000.  At a general meeting in 1997 it was decided that upgrading the Public Hall should be our number one project.Grants were being offered by the Lotteries Commission, but applicants had to show that they had sufficient local support and enthusiasm.  

 

A steering group was set up to design and cost etc the hall upgrade and develop activities that showed that we were worth supporting.  We set about running fund raising activities, a Promises Auction raised £3000, and more was added through regular smaller events.  Then we were able to seek local grants showing that we had support locally (Freda Scott Trust, SLDC, Cumbria CC etc).  That was all very encouraging, but, for our costs of £230,000 we needed the big one, The Lottery.  

 

We eventually made up the hall costs with all the smaller grants and finally a Lottery Grant of £182,000 in January 2000.  The Hall was completely upgraded, enlarged and made up to date.  It is now larger, dry, and warm with modern facilities and is much used. 

WALKS: ​
 

FELLSIDE WOOD:

Old Hutton is fortunate to have a picturesque spot known as Fellside Wood, offering an idyllic setting for dog walks. The tranquil landscape is accompanied by the soothing presence of Peasey Beck, which meanders between the wood and nearby farms. During the spring season, the woods come alive with a carpet of bluebells, creating a charming and colourful spectacle. Additionally, a wildflower meadow adds to the natural beauty of this delightful area, providing a peaceful and refreshing experience for visitors.​

 

History of Fellside Wood: This came out of the blue.  We had a footpath group who used Countryside Commission grants to refurbish the key footpaths in the Parish.  They then set up a Tree Group who were planning to plant trees for the Millennium.  A sad family split at one of the farms left some land in the Parish unsold and the agent contacted the Woodland Trust who were seeking to plant 200 Millennium Com-munity Woodlands around the country.  They approached us and asked if we would be interested in a 13½ acre woodland, if the Woodland Trust thought there was the local commitment, and if we could help raise money to buy the land etc.   There definitely was enthusiasm for the wood in the village, as demonstrated at the public meetings, but we had this big mountain to climb to raise money for our village hall, with the likely costs seemingly increasing all the time.  However, we did it, acting very much second fiddle to the Woodland Trust’s professional fund-raiser.  In fact, with £19,000 needed to be raised locally in South Lakeland, over £30,000 was eventually raised from local companies.   Starting in December 1999 over 9000 saplings were planted, leaving much of one of the fields as a wildflower meadow.  The walkways were made deliberately broad for family walking. Have you noticed the big slabs of stone beside the main pathway about half way down Fellside Wood? They were the suggestion of the primary school and should be called ‘The Silent Stones’. They are supposed to represent the ‘Scattered Community’. The slabs were donated by the quarry.

OLD HUTTON PUBLIC FOOTPATHS WALKS (RED DOTS):
Old-Hutton-Walk1.jpg
Old-Hutton-Walk2.jpg
Old Hutton Photos

Here are some photos taken by locals.

bottom of page